Friday, February 9, 2018

Review: Hatshepsut: The Pharaoh-Queen of Egypt by in60Learning

Title: Hatshepsut: The Pharaoh-Queen of Egypt
Author: in60Learning
Publication: February 3rd 2018 by in60Learning
Genre: Nonfiction, History, Biography
Purchase Link: Amazon

Rating: 4/5

Smarter in sixty minutes.

Get smarter in just 60 minutes with in60Learning . Concise and elegantly written non-fiction books and audiobooks help you learn the core subject matter in 20% of the time that it takes to read a typical book. Life is short, so explore a multitude of fascinating historical, biographical, scientific, political, and financial topics in only an hour each.

When Pharaoh Thutmose II died, he left an heir far too young to rule Egypt. His widow Hatshepsut stepped up to take his place. For at least the next 20 years, Hatshepsut ruled as Pharaoh King of Egypt in an era of prosperous growth and peace. When she died, her nephew Thutmose III attempted to smear her good name and wipe her memory from history. However, despite his efforts, his aunt Hatshepsut holds the title of most famous native Egyptian woman to ever rule as pharaoh; she also retains a legacy as one of the most successful female leaders in early history.


For those who don't know yet, ancient Egypt is my favorite era in history to read about. I can't remember a time where I wasn't fascinated by anything related to that topic. Hatshepsut is without a doubt my favorite pharaoh. So I'm really glad I got the chance to read this book. Not only was Hatshepsut a woman ruling Egypt as king or pharaoh but she did it for quite some time too (even though she was a co-ruler with her nephew and stepson Thutmose III, who smeared her good name after she died). I've always thought she deserves more recognition by older historians and people in general. I don't think many people will know her very well, or even at all. That's why Hatshepsut: The Pharaoh-Queen of Egypt was a good read. I really enjoyed it!

This book can easily read in one sitting, obviously, like the synopsis says: "Get smarter in just 60 minutes with in60Learning." I did know quite a lot already about Hatshepsut because of my mini obsession with her and the fact that I've alread read a lot about her before this book but even so I can say that it was really good overview about Hatshepsut, her reign, what happened in the aftermath of her death and much more. I even learned a thing or two more that I didn't even know, which is exactly why I love reading these kind of books. 

The writing was really good and informative but the chapters never felt excessively long or too monotonous. It was all pretty precise and to the point, which is something I often feel missing in most nonfiction that I read. 

Hatshepsut: The Pharaoh-Queen of Egypt by in60Learning was a fascinating and well-written introduction for those who want to learn more about Hatshepsut. And one she more than deserves! 



 A stone statue of Hatshepsut
{photo is public domain}

Hatshepsut's mortuary temple complex at Deir el-Bahri.
{photo is public domain}

Relief from Hatshepsut mortuary temple where trees are transported by ship from Punt to Egypt for planting.
{photo is public domain}

Osirian statues of Hatshepsut at her tomb
{photo is public domain}



16 comments:

  1. I also have always been intrigued by ancient Egypt and Hatshepsut has such an interesting story! This sounds awesome :)

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lately all I can think of is Hatshepsut. I feel she's getting a lot more coverage these days, which is awesome!

      Delete
  2. I love this option for people who want to learn about history but may not have a lot of time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like quite a fascinating read! I love this era as well. There is a museum in Toronto that has quite a few artifacts and I am always mesmerized when I see things that are so ancient and gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to remember that if I ever come to Toronto! Always love visiting museums. :D

      Delete
  4. Although this is not the kind of book I would usually read, I'm always intrigued by ancient Egypt, so I may be tempted to give it a try. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your delight is sooo cool to read about when it comes to history like this, Stephanie! How did you get so interested in it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it started in elementary school but not sure when or how or why. I've always been interested in ancient Egypt for as long as i can remember. I was always the kid getting nonfiction books about ancient Egypt from the library when we would go with school. xD

      Delete
  6. Glad you enjoyed this! This seems like a decent place to start reading more about Egypt! Have a wonderful week, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I was going to read non-fiction by choice it would probably be something like this because I like the sound of it not taking too long to read but it still being effective. I love the Ancient Egypt era too but don't know much about Hatshepsut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion Hatshepsut should be more well known with people than she is than Cleopatra and Nefertiti are. I feel so strongly about this. lol

      Delete
  8. It might not be my typical read, but I've always been interested in ancient Egypt, so I totally get the appealing. As a matter of fact, I should tell you that I've actually visited Egypt! :-O -> I know, right?
    Lol I was eighteen, so a very long time ago, but still an unforgettable experience <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky! I was supposed to go back in 2011 but then there were a lot of issues in the country and travel agencies were advising not to go. =/ Still like to go someday, though.

      Delete

Share your thoughts! ♥