Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Review: Alexander the Great: Student of Aristotle, Descendant of Heroes by in60Learning

Title: Alexander the Great: Student of Aristotle, Descendant of Heroes
Author: in60Learning
Publication: January 31st 2018

Genre: Nonfiction, History, Biography
Purchase Link: Amazon

Rating: 4/5

Smarter in sixty minutes.
Get smarter in just 60 minutes with in60Learning. Concise and elegantly written non-fiction books and audiobooks help you learn the core subject matter in 20% of the time that it takes to read a typical book. Life is short, so explore a multitude of fascinating historical, biographical, scientific, political, and financial topics in only an hour each. Long before historians added “the Great” to his name, Alexander stated, “I would rather live a short life of glory than a long one of obscurity.” He certainly lived up to this ambition, conquering most of the known world in just 13 years before his death at age 33. Though undefeated in his lifetime, Alexander died unsatisfied--he always wanted more. His ambitious personality comes as no surprise considering his upbringing: born to powerful parents, he studied under Aristotle and grew up believing himself a descendant of the Greek heroes Achilles and Heracles. His parents and tutors raised him to believe he had something to prove, and this book serves as an account of what he accomplished.

I absolutely love Classical antiquity and I've always been intrigued by Alexander the Great but I have to admit that I actually don't know that much about him. So obviously this was a perfect read for me since I learned so much more about him. This is also the second in60Learning book I have read so far and I haven't been disappointed yet. I've really enjoyed this book!

The book was quick to read like all in60Learning books are but even so it was really interesting and went pretty deep into Alexander the Great, his family and the time he lived in. It was very informative but written in a way that was easy to read and very engaging. 

Alexander the Great: Student of Aristotle, Descendant of Heroes by in60Learning was a really great read. With chapters like 'The Foundation of an Empire', 'Proving his Worth' and 'The Beginning of the End' as well as many more, this book gives its readers a concise yet immersed view on Alexander the Great. 


Bust of a young Alexander the Great from the Hellenistic era, British Museum
{photo is public domain}

Aristotle Tutoring Alexander, by American painter Jean Leon Gerome Ferris
{photo is public domain}

Statue of Alexander in Istanbul Archaeology Museum
{photo is public domain}

Detail of Alexander Mosaic, showing Battle of Issus, from the House of the Faun, Pompeii
{photo is public domain}



Check out my other in60Learning review:
Hatshepsut: The Pharaoh-Queen of Egypt


More in60Learning reviews to come soon!


5 comments:

  1. Such a great time period! These books sound perfect for someone who wants to dip their toe into nonfiction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing what nonfiction books you're reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear I read other books too. xD I'm glad some people at least seem interested in them. Thank you :D

      Delete
  3. I would LOVE to read this, Stephanie!! I LOVE Greek antiquity!! And I don't know all that much about Alexander. It's interesting that he was tutored by Aristotle. I wonder whether that influenced his ambitious projects. And he lived up to his motto, dying that young.....

    Thanks for the fascinating review, as well as all the visuals!! HUGS!!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! ♥