Monday, July 11, 2016

Monday Madness: Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn

Monday Madness is a bookish meme hosted by Bookfever & Booklover's Teaparty

You know that feeling when you feel like you are gonna go mad if you do not get a certain book right away, when you are obsessed and all you want is that one book and you will be happy? That is what Monday Madness is about. All those books you that drive you mad.

Pick a book. Talk about it- why do you want it? What has drawn you to it? Why is it making you mad with want for it.




Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn
The Empress of Rome #1

Published April 6th 2010 by Berkley 

An exciting debut: a vivid, richly imagined saga of ancient Rome from a masterful new voice in historical fiction

Thea is a slave girl from Judaea, passionate, musical, and guarded. Purchased as a toy for the spiteful heiress Lepida Pollia, Thea will become her mistress's rival for the love of Arius the Barbarian, Rome's newest and most savage gladiator. His love brings Thea the first happiness of her life-that is quickly ended when a jealous Lepida tears them apart.

As Lepida goes on to wreak havoc in the life of a new husband and his family, Thea remakes herself as a polished singer for Rome's aristocrats. Unwittingly, she attracts another admirer in the charismatic Emperor of Rome. But Domitian's games have a darker side, and Thea finds herself fighting for both soul and sanity. Many have tried to destroy the Emperor: a vengeful gladiator, an upright senator, a tormented soldier, a Vestal Virgin. But in the end, the life of the brilliant and paranoid Domitian lies in the hands of one woman: the Emperor's mistress.


It's strange with this series for me. I've been sorta reading it out of order, which is okay because they can be read as standalones. I started with book #2, now I'm reading book #3 but I haven't been able to get my hands on book #1. My library had it for a while but just when I was planning to go borrow it, they mysteriously pulled it out of their collection. And since they don't have plans to put it back in it, I think I'm just going to buy it sometime. This series is really good. I loved book #2 and I am loving the third one also. I'm sure Mistress of Rome will be amazing too.




And don't forget to check out Christina's post! ♥




1 comment:

  1. Even with standalones I always feel weird reading them out of order.. Like I know I don't have to them in order, but I want to, you know? :P

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! ♥